Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Calculating age of death

On Mar 4, 4:12*am, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE *http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...lsivns%29%29/m...
257.4a Birthday defined.

[....]
Maine Motor Vehicle Code: * *http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi.../title29-A.pdf
29-A *1406. Expiration
3. Leap year birthday. For the purposes of this section,
a person born on February 29th is deemed to have been born
on March 1st.

Thanks for those citation. I guess I was wrong about how uniform the
treatment of Feb 29 anniversaries is across the US.

In any case, I reiterate: my goal was to be consistent with EDATE's
handling of the Feb 29 anniversary, not with any particular laws.

You wrote:
However, it is interesting that by using a previous version
of my UDF [...] gives the "1 year" result.

So we seem to be in "violent agreement".

Independent of how you choose to handle the Feb 29 anniversary (an
unrelated issue), the point is: it is no more correct to output "12
months" instead of "1 year" from a routine that breaks down date
intervals into year/month/days than it would be to output "60 minutes"
instead of "1 hour" from a routine that breaks down time intervals
into hour/minute/seconds.

I do not believe the first implementation of your UDF presented in
this thread returns "12 months" for any other start/end date pair.
And IMHO, there is no rational reason to think that it should for the
Feb29-to-Feb28 interval -- to think that "12 months" has some special
meaning specific to that unique circumstance.

It is a simple defect -- which is the only point I was trying to make
originally.