Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

I wrote:
"Jef Gorbach" wrote:
So will google groups still access this forum
once it relocates??

That is not really possible, well at least not
without significant investment by Google.

I should clarify that I interpreted Jef's question to be: will Google
Groups continue to track contributions made to the new forum?

Two related questions a (a) whether GG (or Giganews) will continue to
permit posting to its own set of microsoft.public newsgroups, creating an
independent forum in effect; and (b) even if not, whether GG will keep its
huge archive of old postings to microsoft.public newsgroups for searching
and reading, and for how long?

I suspect the answers are "no" and "probably not".

With respect to #a, the newsgroup system (Usenet) is composed of an
unstructured set of computers that lack any central administration or
authority. So theoretically, GG could continue to maintain an active set of
microsoft.public newsgroups, allowing users to access them exclusively
through the GG web interface. Giganews could do essentially the same thing,
and GG would never know the difference. (I don't know if Giganews has a
user interface of its own.)

However, note that Microsoft is a trademarked name; and the content of the
microsoft.public NGs originate on Microsoft servers. So I expect that
Microsoft will require that all well-known mirrors of the microsoft.public
NGs stop providing active acccess -- that is, accepting postings.

With respect to #b, the same legal issue applies to merely retaining an
archive of old microsoft.public NGs. Even though the archives themselves
are the property of their owners (e.g. GG), the NG names still contain a
trademarked name. Whether or not Microsoft will stand on that principle, or
GG renames those NGs in its archive, remains to be seen. But in any case, I
doubt that GG would permit read and search access on those NGs, but not
write access (posting).

Of course, I don't know. We might have to just wait and see.