Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

I think I will try the new forum before I express an opinion on whether it is
better or worse. Just my 2 cents.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Joe User" wrote:

wrote:
Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin
progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups
to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum
platform.

Translation: Microsoft will force people to use the web interface that they
have maintained so poorly for years and that is the least reliable and least
feature-rich interface for these "forums" that I am aware of.

Confirmation of that fact comes from the official Microsoft Newsgroup
website http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx. In
the Q&A the

"Q: Where can I access these forums from?
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx"

The only potentially good thing to come out of this....

"Q: What should newsgroup users prepare for that will be different?
[....]
Additionally, Microsoft newsgroups are not moderated, while the forums will
be."

But the operative word is "potentially".

First, Microsoft has demonstrated complete ineptitude in managing "forums".
Their tools do not work. MS does not respond to problem reports. In fact,
they do not even provide an effective way to report problems with "forums".

Second, moderating a group is either highly labor-intensive or useless (just
a pass-thru).

But if the moderation is real (and effective), that will mean that postings
will incur delays.

Moreover, I have never heard of moderation done on a scale this large.
Consider the traffic in the m.p.excel newsgroups alone. Well, perhaps
Microsoft will depend on MVPs to be moderators.

Oh well....