Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Verlinde Verlinde is offline

Default Can I lock a cell after data entry so entry can not be changed

Well the idea behind the data validation is so when they get it wrong it
tells them what policy to read to get the correct answer. I put Select "ok"
to continue which leaves the incorrect answer but I am sure some will go back
and change. The main idea is for them to learn the information but I have
been requested to see if I can make it unable to change. Any other
suggestions? Also, can you put a hyperlink into a data validation error
message?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I would suggest you re-think the Data Validation message part.

If they get it incorrect, Data Validation will pop up a message telling them
they have it wrong and "retry" or "cancel". Cancelling will leave the cell
blank.

You can lock a cell via VBA after any value is entered but I don't know from
where you will get a message to pop up when incorrect answer is given.

Lookup table and some code maybe?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:20:07 -0700, Verlinde
wrote:

I am creating a test using excel 2003 that will self grade and give the
tester information to review when they get the answer incorrect. What I
would like to do is only give them one chance to answer. I do not want them
to be able to change their answer. I would like them to enter their answer
in a cell. If they get it incorrect, through data validation, a box will pop
up to tell them what they need to go back and study. When they close the
data validation box, I would like the answer to stay incorrect and the cell
to lock so they can not change their answer. Can someone help me with this

.