Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default Functions for dummies

"gamegirl" wrote:
What does the $ & ! mean in a formula?

Since this is a "for dummies" question, I hope you won't mind a word of
advice. In the future, include concrete examples in your question.

The answer to your question so far is: it depends on the context. You
neglect to offer anything.

In the first place, I presume you are asking about "$" and "!", not also
"&". (Hint: Don't use symbols ambiguously when you are asking about
symbols. Klunk!)

If the context is something like Sheet1!$A$10, the answer is:

1. "!" is merely a separator, a way to tell Excel that the preceding string
is a worksheet name.

2. "$" denotes an absolute reference, in contrast with a relative reference
like A1. The difference becomes evident when you copy a formula. An
absolute reference like $A$10 rarely changes. (Exception: If you delete any
one of rows 1 through 9, Excel will change $A$10 to $A$9 automagically.) A
relative reference might be changed automagically; Excel tries to be
intelligent about if and how it is changed.

For example, put the formula =A1 into B1. Now copy B1 into B2:B10. You
will see =A2 in B2, =A3 in B3, etc. In contrast, put =$A$1 into B1, and copy
B1 into B2:B10. You will see =$A$1 in all cells.