Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default wildcards in sumproduct functions

Well, that won't help you specifically to look for text contained
"within" the cells, but post back if you need further help.

Pete

On Feb 18, 4:20*am, K1 wrote:
Thanks for your help but I think I have my answer... *sumproduct does not
support wildcards. *I'll use a specific text reference or cell reference
instead.

"Pete_UK" wrote:
You would need to use something like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("ABC",A1:A10))), other conditions...)

i.e. you are looking to see if ABC is contained within any of the
cells in the range A1 to A10. You can use FIND instead of SEARCH if
the case of the text string is important.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 18, 12:38 am, K1 wrote:
I would prefer to use a wildcard for text criteria in sumproduct counting and
adding equations. *I have tried versions of "*ABC*" and get false values.