Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default =+SUM

You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, thank you very much for your response. :)

"T. Valko" wrote:

The plus sign was used to enter a formula in other spreadsheet
applications
like Lotus 123. Some of those old spreadsheet users do it by force of
habit.
Excel accepts it for compatibility but it has no effect one way or
another.

Try entering this formula in Excel in cell B1:

+SUM(A1:A10)

Excel will simply add the equal sign to the formula:

=+SUM(A1:A10)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have a question: I was given a spreadsheet to work on and all
the
SUM
formulas have the following format: =+SUM(A1:A10). I have never seen
this
before. Does the + sign before SUM mean anything and if so, what? It
doesn't seem to make a difference when it is removed. Sorry if this is
really basic question. I have just never seen this before and I am
curious.

Thanks in advance for any information.

.