Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FJ FJ is offline

Default =+SUM

Hi, thank you for the information. :)

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

The + sign was placed there by someone who used to work with Lotus which
uses the + sign instead of the = sign and has not yet adjusted to Excel.

Or someone who prefers to use the numpad for entering formulas.

In Excel if you enter +A1 in a cell it will be turned into =+A1

It is not necessary but does no harm.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:31:02 -0800, FJ wrote:

Hi, I have a question: I was given a spreadsheet to work on and all the SUM
formulas have the following format: =+SUM(A1:A10). I have never seen this
before. Does the + sign before SUM mean anything and if so, what? It
doesnt seem to make a difference when it is removed. Sorry if this is a
really basic question. I have just never seen this before and I am curious.

Thanks in advance for any information.

.