Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brymor Brymor is offline

Default Establishing most common word in an Excel column

Thanks JP,
Biff's suggestion worked OK, but will also try your suggestion, once I've
learnt about Pivot tables.
Wish me Luck!
--
Thanks and kind regards,
Brymor

"JP" wrote:

In addition to what Biff suggested, perhaps a Pivot Table would also
produce what you need?

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot05.html#TopItems

--JP

On Feb 2, 11:30 am, Brymor wrote:
Using Office 2003.
In my weatherstation data, [very long listings over 12 months x 4 readings
per day ], the wind's direction changes are listed as:-
NORTH, NE,SE,SE,EAST,ENE,WSW,SOUTH,SE,EAST, NW, WNW, and so on.
I would like to find a formula that will tell me the most prolific word in
the column list.
I hope that someone can help me here.
Thanks and kind regards,

Brymor