Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline

Default parent/child relationship between rows?

Hi
I still think that it should work, even you don't have to group it (I don't
like this future and I don't use it actually), but creating a colum called
"group" or "header" should really help. example
group data
A 1
A 2
B 1
B 3
B 5
etc
so when you sort by the colum A (group) all data are "attached" to the
group, so I think it should solve the problem you have
Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva

"Doug" wrote:

Eva, I can see how this might help. But it leaves me to sort by this new
Group in order to keep the relationship between the header (parent) and
subsequent rows (children). We may want to sort the spreadsheet, but only by
the headers while keeping the children 'attached' to the parent.

"Eva" wrote:

Hi
I would create a new column called for example "Group" and fill in all rows
(don't leave blanks there) then clik Data/Group and outline/group

Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva

"Doug" wrote:

I have a list of about a thousand rows. I want to divide these rows by
inserting new rows as 'headers' for certain groups of rows. is there a way
to 'attach' the rows below the 'header' row? When i do a sort over the
entire spreadsheet, I want the 'child' rows to maintain a relationship to the
'parent/header' row. TIA