Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Excel cell address from cell contents

You'll want to make sure that you use a local/worksheet level name (not
global/workbook level).

And to do that, you specify it in the "Names in Workbook" textbox.

Dave Peterson wrote:

Maybe...

=indirect("'"&a41&"'!c18")

And yes, you can use a formula like:

='1989'!myCell
='1990'!myCell

I named the cell on each sheet "myCell"
Insert|Names|define (in xl2003 menus)
Names in Workbook: '1990'!myCell
refers to: ='1990'!$A$1

You'll want to make sure that you use a local/worksheet level name (not
global/workbook level).

TQuestar wrote:

After years with Quattro Pro, I'm diving into Excel 2007. One conversion
problem involves INDIRECT as a substitute for QPro's @@ function.

Suppose a workbook with a SUMMARY sheet (tab) and a 1989 sheet

In SUMMARY, cell A4 has the value 1989, and
cell A41 is a string from A4's value (QPro) or just a value reference (=a4)
in Excel

In B41 I want the value in cell C18 of sheet 1989

In Qpro I have:
@@(cell("contents",$A41)&":$c$18")
In Excel I have:
=INDIRECT(CELL("contents",$A41)&"!"&"$c$18)

Question: Is this the most efficient way in Excel to get the results I want
in B41? I want to be able to enter any sheet name (e.g. 1989) in A4, and have
B41 read c18 of sheet 1989.

I hope I have been clear.

Also, following this same example, suppose the source cell I want is not
always c18. Can I name a cell in each sheet (1989, 1990 ...) with the same
name, and then use it in the formula put in B17 of the SUMMARY? I don't think
so.

Thanks for any advice, as I use this sort of reference in a lot of my
workbooks.

--

Dave Peterson

--