Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default #N/A Conditional Formatting affects all cells?

What did you change it to? Iserror traps any error condition including #N/A.
If you entered a value, like 3, and still had white text, it means you
didn't enter the conditional format correctly, as the recommended formula is
correct.

By the way, I presume that changing the text to white makes it disappear. If
that's what you want, you're better off using formulas like:
=if(isna(yourformula),"",yourformula)

Regards
Fred

"SMW" wrote in message
I spoke too soon! When the value of C4 changes to something besides #N/A,
the text does not change back from white. So changing the cells to a
relative reference does not make conditional formatting work...

"Per Jessen" wrote:

Hi

Your problem is that you are using an absolute cell reference, change
the formula to =ISERROR(A1)

Notice the $ signs has been removed to indicate that it is a relative
reference.

Regards,
Per

On 7 Jan., 01:04, SMW wrote:
I'm applying the conditional format =ISERROR($A$1) to change the text
of
cells displaying #N/A to white, as recommended by every conditional
formatting guide on the Internet. However, when applied to a range of
cells,
they all turn white!!

Cell A1 has a formula that provides a #N/A error, in the same way that
the
desired cells produce an #N/A error:

The cells that need to be white are coded =VLOOKUP(B4,SHEET1,10) where
B4 is
='SHEET2'!C4. C4 is blank, so B4 returns 0. The result is #N/A. (When
C4 is
no longer blank, B4 displays data and needs to be visible.)

This is the only conditional format used in the spreadsheet. I've
tried to
find out if anyone else has this problem and had no luck.

.