Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default BIN2DEC conversion for large binary numbers

Ah, so it IS better then, Mike !!! <ebg

Pete

On Dec 15, 10:36*pm, Mike H wrote:
Ron,

It now becomes almost surreal the way Excel help works. Convinced that
certainly you and probably not myself are mad I checked again.

I enter BIN2DEC in excel help and I get a help category

Convert numbers to different number systems

Not unreasonably (I think) I click this and there is a list of all the
conversion formula with the header I posted in my other post i.e. NO mention
of the limitation 'feature' of this formula.

Also when I enter BIN2DEC I see an option

List of worksheet functions (by category)

When I click this and then click 'Engineering functions' and navigate to
BIN2DEC the formula is described with the limitation.

So it seems that in E2007 it depends on where you look for help is a
critical factor in getting a precise answer. Well done Microsoft.

Mike

"Mike H" wrote:
Ron,

100% definitely not in my E2007 just the intro header I posted in my other
post then a description of the syntax for each of the formulae.

Excel 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)

Mike

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:14:01 -0800, Mike H
wrote:

I just checked E2003 and you are correct but there is no such explanation of
this limitation in E2007 help reproduced below

That's funny. *With Excel 2007, when I look at HELP for BIN2DEC, I see:

Number * *is the binary number you want to convert. Number cannot contain more
than 10 characters (10 bits). The most significant bit of number is the sign
bit. The remaining 9 bits are magnitude bits. Negative numbers are represented
using two's-complement notation.

Seems pretty clear to me.
--ron