Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Solver not working

Check will www.solver.com. Maybe one of the premium version will work
best wishes

"Kerry" wrote in message
On Dec 1, 9:24 pm, "Bernard Liengme"
wrote:
You cannot have conditional functions within a Solver model
So the problem seems to be the IF statements
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengmehttp://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kerry" wrote in message

I have 4 cells that Solver is supposed to change to minimize the value
of one target cell, where the target cell sums a bunch of rows that
have changed values depending on the 4 aforementioned cells.

Whether I click min or max in solver, it says it solves the equation
fully but the results do not change for min or max compared to the pre-
solver values. To test if it was working, I (in short) click for the
solver to find an exact target value I know for a fact exists locally
(and required only changing one cell value), but Solver says it cannot
find a feasible solution.

All of this tells me that the proper operations or operation sequence
is not happening during the execution of solver. I thought I'd fixed
the issue at first, when I rearranged the involved formulas so that
everything was on the same Excel sheet, but it didn't work.

Are there other Solver limitations I need to know about that could be
causing the issue? I was surprised that Microsoft Support and the
Solver Help file did not mention that I need to have all formula
references on the same tab, and so am concerned there's other
limitations I am not aware of.

I have tried changing all Solver Options too, but no help.

I will try to simplify the involved data below:

Solver changes these constants...
Cell A2 = 0.31
Cell A3 = 0.25.
Cell A4 = 0.67
Cell A5 = 0.52

to minimize the value of a target cell with the formula:
=SUM
(D41:E2000,I41:J2000,N41:O2000,S41:T2000,X41:Y2000 ,AC41:AD2000,AH41:AI2000,AM41:AN2000,AR41:AS2000,A W41:AX2000,BB41:BC2000)

The columns summed in the target cell formula above have their own
formulas. An example would be:
=IF(AND(C41<A$2,C41<((A$6*B41)+A$9)),1,0),
where C41 and B41 are constants I am not changing in solver, A$2 is
one of the constants I am changing in solver, and A$6 and A$9 have
formulas that reference some of the constants I am changing but are
not directly inputted to the solver.

Thus, solver changing any of A$2 through A$5, will change A$9 and/or A
$6, which in turn changes the column values that are summed in the
target cell formula, thus changing the target cell value.

Thanks for any help,

I see. Any suggestions for a workaround? I kind of need those IF
statements.

Thanks again,