Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
goneil goneil is offline

Default Get current time NOW() but stop it updating

Hi Stefi,

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. I think this may not be
possible and perhaps thats why I cant figure it out on my own (I also don't
know VBA) or with community help.

I have a spreadsheet that I want to record how much time I spend on each
call I make or receive. I need to do it efficiently because I may only spend
1 or 2 minutes on some calls or less but rounded up to a minimum 1 minute.

I want to simply enter the Duration of the call and Nothing Else:

1. Enter call Duration hh mm into separate cells, then populate other cells
by:
2. Get the Current Time
3. Subtract the call duration from Current Time
4. And that becomes my Start Time.

The problem is that the end time keeps updating because it gets the current
timestamp from NOW().

A B C D
Duration -----------Time---------
Hours Mins Start End
1 20 9:40 11:00
(NOW - Duration) (NOW)

Any ideas Stefi?
cheers
George

"Stefi" wrote:

You can do that via a VBA event macro, but first you have to specify
1. in what cell do you want to enter NOW
2. what is the event (e.g. filling in a particular cell) triggering time
stamping.

Regards,
Stefi

€˛goneil€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I want to time stamp a cell automatically with the current time (ie) without
the data entry operator having to do anything, however I don't want it to
update all the time I want it to just remain as is permenantly. I cannot
make NOW() stay the same.
Cheers