David McRitchie

I don't know about you but I occasionally delete a row,
and certainly insert rows. So it would be best not to
refer to the cell above by it's address. See
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm

D3: =D2-B3+C3
better written as
D3: =OFFSET(D3,-1,0) - B3 + C3

---
HTH,

<Andy B wrote in message ...
Hi

You need to take the existing balance and add credits, or subtract debits.
Presumably, on each row you will either have a debit or a credit - but not
both. With your Debits in column B and your Credits in column C, use
something like this in column D
=D2-B3+C3
This will take the previous total (in D2) and subtract or add the necessary
values.
Hope this helps.

--
Andy.

"Hazeldean" wrote in message
A formula resultong in a balance row to take into account debit & credit
entries