Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default cell formatted as date won't change

Two ways to do this

1. Select the range of dates which needs to be corrected. From menu
DataText to Columns will populate the 'Convert Text to Columns Wizard' Hit
NextNext will take you to Step 3 of 3 of the Wizard. From Column Data format
select Date and select the date format in which your data is (MDY).Hit
Finish. MSExcel will now convert the dates to the default date format of your
computer.

2. Using formula; with date in cell A1

=DATEVALUE(TRIM(MID(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1),4,4)) & "-"&LEFT(A1,3)&"-" &
RIGHT(A1,4))

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria

"NEHicks" wrote:

I have a column of dates (Jul 2,2009) that I want to format as 7/2/09. I can
change the formatting to anything I want and the cells never change. What's
wrong?