Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Sam Thielman Sam Thielman is offline

Default Getting links to follow inserted rows

Actually, they're not in different workbooks - I'm just linking from,
for brevity's sake, sheet1 to sheet2.

On Jul 14, 5:12*pm, Dave Peterson wrote:
These worksheets are in different workbooks, right?

If both workbooks are open when you make the change, then excel will adjust
those links. *Remember to save both files when you're done!

If you don't want to open the "sending" workbook, you can name each cell that
gets retrieved. *When you insert/delete a row/column, then that named range will
move with the cell. *And the formulas that refer to that named range will still
point to that named range.

========
But this kind of stuff scares me.

If possible, I would have a unique key (in column A???) so that I could use
=vlookup() to retrieve values when the key matched.

" wrote:

Hello-
I have a slightly complicated problem, so I'll try to make it as
simple as possible for anyone who wants to help (which I would greatly
appreciate).

I have a large range of data that needs to be entered into a worksheet
and then reordered in a second worksheet. The second worksheet is
nothing but links that put the data from the first worksheet into the
correct order.

My problem is this: whenever I insert a row into the first worksheet,
the numbers from the second worksheet don't change. I would like to
have a permanent link, for example, to cell A1 in Sheet 1, but when I
move that cell to D12, the link in Sheet 2 suddenly refers to D12.

Can the links be made to refer to a location, rather than a datum?
Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson