Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Default RANK ....Grrrrr

Fwiw, when I tested with your sample data (pasted) into my xl2003, it didn't
give the anomaly that you indicated for placings 7-8.

These were the results returned:

35.7 1
34.8 2
34.7 3
34.6 4
34.4 5
34.3 6
33.9 7
33.9 7
33.6 9
33.5 10
33.4 11
33.4 11
33.3 13
33.2 14
33.2 14
33.1 16
32.6 17
31.8 18

--
Max
Singapore
"Blobbies" wrote:
For the life of me, I can't understand why this is happening ..... Using
Excel 2007 on XP.

I have a series of gymnastics results. Sometimes an equal score will
produce a tied rank, and sometimes, for some reason, it will produce separate
rankings .... Weird!! Sample pasted below - all these results are produced
by the formula "=RANK(P22,$P$22:$P$39,0)" (obviously the P22 changes on each
row!).

Please note placings 7 and 8, and 11, and 14!!?? I would like to end up
with all eual scores producing a tied rank! I suspect there will be a simple
answer, and i thank you in advance!!

Mike
New Zealand

TOTAL Total Place