Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
johannes johannes is offline

Default Automatic swap of x - and y - axis

Jon, sorry for my long silence.

What you are describing is exactely what happens, i.e. that the values on
the x-axis (horizontal) become the values on the y-axis (vertical). This
obviously messes up the the graph.

Unfortunately I can't quite remember what manual changes I make to get the
graph back to the way it used to be (because this problem occurs not on my
computer but on my clients computer where I go only once a month or so). I
think I am changing the graph back by going into the 'Source Data' Menue, and
then change the 'Series in' from Rows to Coloumns, or vice versa. I will be
going to my client again on Monday, and after I have made the change, I will
get back to you to tell you exactely what I do.

Johannes

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

I'm having trouble understanding "the x - axis becomes the y-axis". How does
the chart change its appearance? What steps do you take to "change it back"?

Are the values that were plotted on the horizontal axis now plotted on the
vertical axis, and the values that were plotted on the vertical axis now
plotted on the horizontal axis? Do the axis titles switch positions? Does a
(vertical) column chart become a (horizontal) bar chart?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Johannes" wrote in message
Jon
I use very simple line (mostly) and bar charts. The time line (usually
dates, covering between a few weeks to one year) is shown on the x - axis
and
the values, e.g. temperatures in a composting pile, are shown on the y -
axis. The problem I am having is that the x - axis becomes the y-axis and
vice versa, messingup the chart and making it useless. This happened
automatically when Excel 2007 was installed, and it still happens when a
template (= worksheet established in Excel 2007) is copied within an Excel
document to create a new worksheet for a new product batch.

I can manually switch the x- and y - axis back so that the graph look o.k.
again, but this is a frustrating way of doing it, and there must be a way
of
preventing this from happening.

Does this explain it better?

Johannes

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

What kind of chart are we talking about here? Do you mean the chart
converts
from horizontal bars to vertical or something like that? Or does the
actual
data switch in the series formulas?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Johannes" wrote in message
I am managing a database of lab results for an external company. That
compnay
recently upgraded from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007, which resulted in the
automatic swap of the x - and y - axis in all time - value graphs that
are
inbeded in each worksheet of the database. I have labouriously reversed
many
of the automatic changes, but still have a long way to go. However, the
most
frustrating thing is that as soon as staff copy template worksheets, in
which
the x - and y - axis have been corrected so that time is whown on the
x -
axis and values on th y - axis, to enter data for a new product batch,
the
- and y - axis revert back the wrong way round. Trying to deal with
this
problem caused by Excel 2007 has been one of the most frustrating work
experiences I have had for a very long time. Any ideas of what might
help?
The other thing is that I can't try your suggestions striaght away, as,
luckily, I don't have Excel 2007; I can only try things, when I am
working
on
my client's system.