Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Crist Crist is offline

Default Formula to pull first word from text string in a column

May I ask, what does the '&" "' do? Thanks for your help too!

"T. Valko" wrote:

You may want to add some error handling

Another way:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1&" ")-1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

You may want to add some error handling if there isn't always more than
one word.
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(" ",A2)-1),LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1),A2)
--
David Biddulph

"CrisT" wrote in message
Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a formula. I have a
column in
a spreadsheet that has the following types of text (for example):

Subaru WRX
Subaru STI
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Grand Cherokee

What I am looking for is a formula to pull the first word from the column
and put it in another column, say column T.

Thank you in advance!