Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Formula to pull first word from text string in a column

I think your data must start in row 1, whereas Luke's formula assumed it
started on row 2. It gave you the correct result first time because you have
Subaru on the first two rows.

Just change Luke's references from A2 to A1 in T1, and then copy down again.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"CrisT" wrote in message
Thank you Luke, it does work. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I
wanted to run this formula down column "T". When I ran the formula this
is
what I got for the rest of the rows:

subaru WRX subuaru
subuaru STI Jeep
Jeep Wrangler Jeep
Jeep Grand Cherokee subaru
subaru WRX subuaru
subuaru STI Jeep
Jeep Wrangler Jeep
Jeep Grand Cherokee #VALUE!

CrisT

"Luke M" wrote:

assuming your data is in column A.

=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"CrisT" wrote:

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a formula. I have a
column in
a spreadsheet that has the following types of text (for example):

Subaru WRX
Subaru STI
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Grand Cherokee

What I am looking for is a formula to pull the first word from the
column
and put it in another column, say column T.

Thank you in advance!