JustMe

Peo Sjoblom wrote:
If you mean the cell that holds this formula

=OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN())),-1,0,1,1)

if you put that formula in A2 it will return what's in A1

Peo Sjoblom

The answer I'm looking for is "ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN())". I had tried
ADDRESS(ROW(0),COLUMN(0)), gotten an error, look at ADDRESS help, and
silly me, didn't look for help on ROW or COLUMN.

Thanks to both you and Andy Wiggins for the help.

Regards,

Lowell Anderson

"JustMe" wrote in message ...

I've googled n googled n searched but can not find the answer so I thought I'd ask.

Does Excel 97 or later have a "this cell" type reference ability? By this I mean the ability to do something like the following:

If xy is an arbitrary cell address, then a formula like =OFFSET(<ThisCell,-1,0,1,1) stored in xy would resolve to =OFFSET(xy,-1,0,1,1), which incidently, is not circular.

<ThisCell might have the form R[0]C[0], R*C*, A*1*, **, etc., assuming these notation are not used by Excel.

Thanks,

L Anderson