Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Noob McKnownowt Noob McKnownowt is offline

Default Complex decisions, maybe?

once again guys thanks for the posts,

you have the right idea, but i dont think i am explaining myself properly.

i need the letter returning if the result of a calculation falls within a
certain range, but because these numbers are dynamic its difficult to explain.

but yes i am essentially trying to compare one number against another number
and then base a decision on the difference between them.

say i have the number 5 (C10)

the number i am comparing can be anything from 1 to 10 (C1) and return the
letter 'A'. but it is important that the letter 'A' is only returned if the
number being compared falls equally or within 5 either side of the 'base'
number (C10)

i.e. any number between 1 and 10 will return 'A'
0 or 11 or any numbers beyond that boundry will return something else.

thanks guys,

The Noob.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I think you may be looking for this...

=IF(ABS(C1-C10)=5,"A","")

where, because you didn't say what to do if the difference was something
else, I output nothing if the difference is not 5.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Noob McKnownowt" wrote in
message ...
hey guys,

got a quick question for any one able to answer :)

say i have a table with various SUM functions from C1 to C10 calculating
the
numbers in A1 and B1 down to A10 and B10

in cell C1 i have 2 and in C10 i have 7

if C1 is 5 more than or 5 less than the value of C10 then the value of
that
cell should have an "A" out put to it.

there are other conditions but hopefully if you can help me with this i
can
figure the rest out.

thanks for any assistance given.

The Noob.