Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Hierarchal view of parent/child list

Good response - it looks like your solution is much more robust than mine,
which is locked into the 3 levels of parent - child - grandchild. Much as
I'd have liked to have worked out given a little more time, but you've saved
me that effort!

If it were up to me, I'd give you the green check for "answered!", as it is,
I find it very helpful ... thanks for sharing.

"Tom Hutchins" wrote:

I have adapted a macro of mine to fit your sample data. You can download it
he

http://freefilehosting.net/download/40cj1

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Mitch Powell" wrote:

Here's a stumper. I have a list that represents parent/child relationships,
as follows:

ID ParentID Name
1 Item 1
2 1 Item 2
3 1 Item 3
4 2 Item 4
5 2 Item 5
6 3 Item 6
7 3 Item 7

Representing the above in a hierachal format would yield the following:

Item 1
Item 2
Item 4
Item 5
Item 3
Item 6
Item 7

The list is very large and I what I need is a mechnism for repsenting the
raw data in the list in a user-friendly hierarchal format. I'm pretty
stumped on this one. Any ideas?