Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
phaze phaze is offline

Default Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 2003

Nice to see that the Problem that I am currently seeing in Office 2007
enterprise dates back to the beta. I have 10 curves for one chart each easly
could have upto 2000 points, redraw will eat up 100% of one core for a good
half minute before an update, and mean while excel is useless. (2.00Ghz,
Intel P7350, 4.00 GB of RAM, with vista x64)

"larry godfrey" wrote:

I have complex charts, with many data points. The redraw time on my machine
in Excel 2003 (all updates for office and wxp installed) is 2-3 sec, which I
consider extremely slow, so I was looking forward to an new chart engine with
better speed from 2007, but am flabergasted at how slow 2007 is.
Try this...create a line chart, 12 columns of 5000 points each. Put it
imbeded in a worksheet. Tab to another worksheet, tab back, time the redraw.
On my machine (3 ghz, 2gig ram), redraw time is 2-3 sec for all the lines to
show up on the graph. In 2007, it takes a full minute! the graph looks
better (lines are more clear), but wow, this redraw time is crazy! I created
the graph in 2003, pulled it into 2007 and saved it as 2007.xlsm file type.

I also have a graph with ~ 50 5k point lines, of which I hide most of them
at any one time. This chart redraw in 2007 can go on for 5 minutes!
(compared to 10-15 sec in 2003)

Am I unaware of some setting to speed things up, or did MS realy make charts
10X slower to redraw?
Best regards
Larry