Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mark[_7_] Mark[_7_] is offline

Default Extracting Data from a string of text in a cell

It is a bit tricky to the right. =RIGHT needs the number of characters
needed to the right or to the end of the string. So needs a more extensive
function, but I'm running out of time now.

To the left would be easy using in column B =LEFT(A1,SEARCH("^",A1)-1)

Cheers, Mark

"swalker" wrote in message
I need to extract all the characters to the right of another character (^).
This (^) character appears in every cell of the column I am working with.
It
can appear in differnent places within the text of the cell. For example,
one
cell can have the test "12345^ABC" and another cell can have the tesxt
"1234567^ABCDEF". In the first case, I need to extract the "ABC" and the
second I need to extract the "ABCDEF". Once extracted I want to put the
information into a column next to the original text. Please advise the
best
way to do this.