Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default error "Excel has found unreadable Content"

Sometimes an excel workbook will get corrupted. Usually it is an internal
link that can't be fixed. when this hppens I'm usually forced to copy each
sheet of the workbook to a new workbook and copy all the macros.

It is easy to copy the worksheets by highlighting all of the using the
bottom tab on the worksheets. Select the 1st worksheet on original workbook.
Then hold the shift key down and select the last worksheet. All the
worksheets are now selected. Then right click a tab and ".select Move or
copy". Change the pulldown tab to (new workbook).

"JLMHoss" wrote:

Thanks for resonding Joel.

I experience this issue mostly when saving the current version to a file
with a new name. This does not happen every time either. It happens about 3
in 4 saves.

--
Thanks for your help

JLMHoss :)

"Joel" wrote:

Make sure you are saving the file on the same version of excel you are using.
Try doing a SAVEAS to a new filename and the re-opening the new file.

You may want to search for "corrupted" at this site to see other solutions.
the last time I ran into this problem was in a posting a couple of weeks ago
Can't find the posting. But a person was sending files to multiple coutries
and depending on which county saved the file and which one opened the file
the same error message came up.

"JLMHoss" wrote:

I created a large multi-sheet workbook with lots of Vba macro stuff.

This worksheet has been working fine until lately. Just recently after some
minor revisions I saved the file as I always have. The file will open fine,
but as soon as make even a minor edit and save the file, the next time I go
to open the file I get the following error message:
"Excel found unreadable content in "*****.xls" Do you want to recover the
contents of this workbook?"

If I answer "yes" and open the file all of the formatting and background Vba
code is gone.

Any suggestions how I can test the worksheet for unreadable content prior to
saving?

--
Thanks for your help

JLMHoss :)