Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rparker rparker is offline

Default Adding multiple series to charts

You raise some valid points. I can probably get each chart down to 255
stages by breaking out customers by geographic region, customer size, etc.

If I can do this, then what is the most effective way to graph out all the
customer series? I was looking on your Web site for an example but couldn't
find anything that jumped out at me. Could I do this with a Series Formula?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

An Excel chart is limited to 255 series. You need to rethink what you want
to chart. Does each customer need its own series? Are you interested in
widgets per day, cumulative widgets, or something else?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"rparker" wrote in message
How do I add lots of series? I need to plot data for up to 1000 series in
single chart, with each series representing a single customer.

I'm basically trying to graph buying behavior of customers, where I map
lots
of customer purchases on a chart to see what trends pop out.

So my data might look like this:

Customer Days Widgets
A 1 1000
A 300 3000
B 200 200
B 1000 10000

So customer A bought 1000 widgets on Day 1 and 3000 widgets on Day 300.
Customer B bought 200 widgets on Day 200, and so on.

The challenge is that I don't know how many customers I will be graphing,
and each customer may buy on a different day.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

In a line chart, all series use the category values defined for the first
series. If you want two series to use different X values, you need to
provide all X values, with gaps where either series has no corresponding
values. The data looks like this, select the entire range, including
blanks,
and make the chart.

X Y1 Y2
1 2
2 3
3 4
4 5
5 3
6 4
7 5
8 6

If the two series overlap, arrange like so, and go to Tools menu
Chart Tab, and choose Interpolate for how Excel should deal with empty
cells.

X Y1 Y2
1 2
2 3
3 3
4 4
5 4
6 5
7 5
8 6

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Steven K. Smith" wrote in
message
Sorry, I thought at first it didn't work correctly, but then I realized
was
testing this on a "line" chart rather than an XY chart.

Your suggestion works well for XY, but if you try it on a line chart,
it
simply puts the selected data at the beginning of the chart, regardless
of
where the data you'd selected occured in the original chart.

Thanks for the help.

--
I speak for truth, enlightenment and justice, but not for the US Air
Force.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Copy the range of data you want to add, select the chart, and use
Paste
Special to add the data as new series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Steven K. Smith" <Steven K. wrote in
message ...
My, the sign-on process was annoying! I had to click "allow this"
12
times
after I started counting, just so I could ask this question.

In Excel 2007, how do I add multiple series of data to a scatter
chart?
It
appears to only allow you to add one series at a time.

I have a worksheet with data in columns. If I add some columns of
data
the and want them to appear on the chart, the only way I've found to
do
this
is to right click, choose "select data", "add" and then
individually
enter
the X and Y ranges for each series, one at a time.

It has no problem creating a chart with multiple series at one time,
why
is
this different? This was much easier in Excel 2003.

Sooooo annoying, but until I can dump this job my workplace makes me
use
Excel.