Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Anonymus Anonymus is offline

Default Excel 2007 data link update prompt

"Bill Manville" wrote:

I know that the treatment of links is different in 2007 than in 2003
and there are some features that I consider to be bugs (e.g. if you
have links to C:\Folder1\File.xls in an open workbook and you open
C:\Folder2\File.xls the links will be redirected to that opened
File.xls workbook).

One reason for different behaviour in 2007 from 2003 would be if the
sender had saved it in 2003; on opening it in 2007 a full recalculation
is performed and these formulas will not be able to be computed because
the add-in is not present. When you were opening it in 2003 there was
no need for the full recalc and so the previously computed values were
used in the absence of the add-in.

Potential solutions:
- get the sender to give you a copy of the add-in
- get the sender to convert formulas to values before sending the
workbook
- get the sender to save the workbook in 2007 before sending it.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

I have the same problem with:
-all the files that I created with excel 2003. I changed the computer and I
have a new address to the source files or some source files are missing.
- and the sent files that I have created in excel 2007 using links. The
receiver gets an file with #VALUE! cells