Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kwokman3 Kwokman3 is offline

Default Help Extracting Numbers formula

This works!! Thank you!!

For my knowledge, if you have the time to respond,
how do the LEFT() and FIND() functions work?

--
Kwokman

"T. Valko" wrote:

Assuming the number is always the first characters of the string followed by
a space:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)*LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kwokman3" wrote in message
Ok....sample...

If a given spreadsheet has...

3 days [in cell A1]
400 per day [in cell A2]

then in cell A3, I'd like to multiply 3 and 400.
Mind you, the cell has mixed text and numbers.

Some idiot submitted a huge spreadsheet without separating units from
number
of units!!

--
Kwokman

"T. Valko" wrote:

Need more detail.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kwokman3" wrote in message
Help!!

Is there a way for excel to identify cells with number in them, then
extract
the numerical data from the cell and use it in another formula?

--
Kwokman