Gary Brown

Strongly recommend you talk to a Tax Accountant. You also have to factor in
SUI credits or you will be overpaying the government.

Per Publication 15...
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p15/ar02.html#d0e3106
Computing FUTA tax. For 2004 and 2005, the FUTA tax rate is 6.2%. The tax
applies to the first $7,000 that you pay to each employee as wages during the
year. The $7,000 is the federal wage base. Your state wage base may be
different. Generally, you can take a credit against your FUTA tax for amounts
that you paid into state unemployment funds. This credit cannot be more than
5.4% of taxable wages. If you are entitled to the maximum 5.4% credit, the
FUTA tax rate after the credit is 0.8%.

Good Luck,
Gary Brown

"rfhorn" wrote:

I am trying to budget employer payroll tax expense by employee by month. I
have tried an if function and it does not work by month to month bases only
in total. Example of the data is as follows: I have an employee that makes
$72,000 per year or $6,000 per month. The FUTA taxes are .8% on the first
$7,000 of pay or $56. The first month the expense is $$48.00 ($6,000 * .08%).
the next month the expense is $8 ($1,000 *.08%). All subsequent months the
expense is zero since the maximum was reached by month two. The same type
calcualtion holds true for the SUI tax expense except the maximum wages is
$23,00 and the tax rate is 2.88%. It will take almost four months befroe the
maximum SUI tax expnse is reached. I thought I could set up an if function
that would calculate the monthly tax expnse but was unsuccessful. Any ideas
of what formula I should be using?