Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
I miss my slide rule I miss my slide rule is offline

Default Saved *.csv file gives SYLK file type warning upon Excel 2003 open

We stumbled across the same thing in a much smaller file, and changing the
first field in the first record from "ID" to "FID" fixed it. Both Excel 2002
and Excel 97 gave an "invalid SYLK file" error and would not open the file.
Excel 2007 also gave an "invalid SYLK file" error and SAID it wouldn't open
it, but did. So I guess that is progress.

"Tom" wrote:

I've created a *.csv file "MyOutput.csv" that has about 2000 rows and 15
columns of text data from an application. When browsing via Windows Explorer
to the file off the root of C:\ and double-clicking, I get a message that
says:
"Excel has detected that the 'MyOutput.csv' is a SYLK file, but cannot load
it. Either the file has errorsa or it is not a SYLK file. Click OK to try
to openn the file in a different format."
Upon clicking on OK, the MyOutput.csv file loads finei into Excel 2003. I
just need to re-adjust the column widths.
What's causing the SYLK 'false-error' message.
TIA,
Tom