Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Minitman Minitman is offline

Default How To Detect A Negative Number In A Cell

Hey David,

Thanks for the reply.

Nice catch on the whole row.

There seems to be a problem with that formula (=$M2<0)

That formula is what I tried at first in CF. I know how to get the
color I need if the formula is working. That formula seems to be the
culprit. So to test the formula, I moved back to the sheet and chose
a column to test the formula. In the first row (row 2), I placed:

=IF($M2<0,"NEGATIVE","POSITIVE")

I then copied it down for 10 rows (it automatically advanced the row
number), I paced both positive and negative numbers (along with a
zero in one row for testing) in the test rows M column.

They all came back "POSITIVE" which is to say they all returned FALSE.

Any idea as to what is wrong with this formula?

-Minitman

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:10:16 -0000, "David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk wrote:

If the OP wants to change the text colour for the whole row, rather than
just for that cell, then it'll need Conditional Formatting.
Formula Is/ =$M1<0