Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tyro[_2_] Tyro[_2_] is offline

Default what is a database?

Excel is not a database nor does Excel maintain databases. Please explain to
me the relational concepts that Excel exposes. Excel has no records. Just
rows of data. It does not maintain any kind of relationships between the
rows. You should understand that datatbase uses schemas. Excel does not.
There must be relationships between the files(s), ie. tables in database
terminology, along with schemas. Excel does not have records. Excel has
rows. Databases have tables with records and fields and schemas to reveal
the realationships between the tables. I think you are confusing
spreadsheets with databases.

Tyro
"pdberger" wrote in message
fm11 --

A database is a structured set of information. In Excel, it's often a
table
of information. Across the top, you have headings (First name, Last name,
phone number, eye color, # of frogs owned, etc.). Then, each row below
that
is a different entry, officially called a 'record'. It might be a list of
your friends, or the people in your city, etc. The important thing is
that
each row (in this layout) is a different person or, in the language,
'instance'.

Usually Excel databases have the headings at the top of the rows for two
reasons: First, that's how we're used to seeing things. Second, Excel is
designed to have many times more rows than columns, so we can have bigger
tables of information.

HTH

"fm11" wrote:

what is a database?