Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protect (Lock) Cell Formatting ONLY

You failed to answer my first question:
"Which version of Excel are you using?"

In Excel 2003, and in any other version which I have used, the method which
I described does what you ask. I allow users to select cells, and that
allows them to change the content of, but not the format of, the unlocked
cells (but doesn't allow them to change unlocked cells). In whichever
version you have, are you saying that if you allow users to select locked
and unlocked cells (the default settings), then the unlocked cells behave
exactly the same as the locked cells? [Perhaps you'd better check again
that you have actually unlocked the cells that you think you've unlocked?]
I would be fascinated to hear if anyone else suffers from these same
symptoms.

Have a look at Excel help. The topic "About worksheet and workbook
protection" and the sub-topic "Protecting worksheet elements" address the
relevant area. If your Excel isn't behaving the way that it should do, you
may need to reinstall, but I would suggest checking again carefully that
you've got the settings correct on your cells and on your worksheet before
you resort to that drastic step.
--
David Biddulph

"GraceJean Jones" <GraceJean wrote in
message ...
Thanks again for your response.

In the worksheet I have unlocked certain cells using like you said:
Format/
Cells/ Unlock.

Then, like you said, I go to Tools/ Protection/ Protect Sheet.

If you allow users to "select cells," this option means the users of the
worksheet can put their cursor on "locked" cells & select them. This DOES
NOT mean that users, once selecting a "locked" cell can do anything with
the
cell at all. If you do not allow users to "select cells," this then means
that the user of the worksheet cannot even get their cursor to move onto a
cell that has not been unlocked. If the user trys clicking on a "locked
cell" or using the arrows to move around, the cursor will just "jump" over
cells that have been "locked" (if the "select cells" if left unchecked).
So,
in other words, by checking "select cells" all this does is it allows
users
to get their cursor moved onto or over "locked" cells.

If I unlock a cell, users have access to this cell, to input numbers. But
the users unfortunately also have full access to change the color, to
change
the font, to change the borders of the cell, etc.

I still cannot figure out a way to unlock a cell so that the only thing
users can do in this cell is input a number, & nothing else.

Thanks again for your feedback, if you know of something else I can try,
that would be great.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Which version of Excel are you using?
The cells that you want to change the values you have unlocked with
Format/
Cells/ Unlock?
You have gone to Tools/ Protection/ Protect Sheet? The default at that
stage (at least in my Excel 2003) is to allow users to select cells, but
not
to allow them to format cells, so that default will do what you want.
Did
you change any of the options at that stage? What is your problem having
protected the sheet? Is it allowing users to change format although when
you protected the sheet you have not selected the option to allow
formatting? Is it not allowing users to select cells which you have
unlocked?
--
David Biddulph

"GraceJean Jones" wrote in
message ...
Thanks for your reply, however, my question was not answered. I want
be
able to create cells in a worksheet where users can input numbers, but
cannot
change any of the formatting of the cell, such as font style, font
size,
font
color, borders, etc. Thanks again.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

I'm glad to hear that you know how to protect a sheet and how to lock
and
unlock cells. You therefore know how to answer your question.
--
David Biddulph

"GraceJean Jones" <GraceJean
wrote in
message ...
I understand how to protect a worksheet, and I know how to "unlock"
certain
cells in a worksheet, so that users of the worksheet can enter
information
into these unlocked cells. I have a worksheet where all I want the
users
be able to do in certain cells is to be able to 'put in or insert'
numbers.
I don't want the users of this worksheet to be able to change the
font,
font
color, font size, borders, etc. In other words, I want to create a
worksheet
where only numbers can be entered into certain cells, but no changes
whatsoever can be made to the cell formatting of these cells.
Thanks
for
your assistance.