Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Lance Lance is offline

Default A link between two workbooks doesn't keep the value, shows #va

Thanks for the information, but I do question it a little in that if I open
the same spreadsheet in Excel 2003, all of the cells with =sumif() formulas
in them contain valid data results as I would expect (even though I don't
have access to the source spreadsheet in the formulas link). In 2007
however, I can only get those results if automatic calculation is turned off.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

The =sumif() formula doesn't work in any version of excel if the sending
workbook is closed.

But the way the cells with links are displayed if the links aren't updated did
change (I think with xl2k).

Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

You'll have to change the version number in Jim's post.

Lance wrote:

I guess my big question here is why did this appear to work in Excel 2003,
but not now in Excel 2007? It used to be that users would elect not to
update the links and then in the spreadsheet they received via e-mail, it
would have the data still contained within the spreadsheet--though it was
stale, at least it was there.

Now in Outlook 2007, it appears as if the data is no longer available unless
it can update the links OR unless I save the file locally, open excel by
itself, turn calculation of formulas to manual, then open the spreadsheet
from within Excel 2007. Any thoughts on this and how to get it to function
as it did in Excel 2003?

Much appreciated!
Lance

--