Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lori Lori is offline

Default Extract numerator from fraction

Try converting the fractions to text then you can do the Text to columns or
an Edit Replace.

This can be achieved by formatting a column as text and then copying and
pasting the column either to and from notepad or with the office clipboard on
the edit menu (although if the data range is small you need to undo and then
paste special as text after clicking the paste icon)

"tf" wrote:

I have a column of decimal values in an Excel 2003. I have converted the
values to fractions using the "format cell" function and would like to
extract the numerator values from the fractions. I thought I could do this
by converting text to columns with the "/" as a delimiter, such that the
numerator and denominator values would be returned in separate columns. The
problem is that even though my values show as a fraction, they are still read
as decimals by Excel and the text to columns won't work. I've tried using
the "paste special" function to replace the decimals with the fraction
values, but that did not work either.

Any ideas on how to get Excel to read the values as fractions so that I can
use the text to columns function; or another method that will allow me to
extract the numerator values? (I don't have a common denominator, so I can't
use the dollar functions)

Thanks!