Fishyken

Default Excel: Use a name with external workbook reference for data valida

In Excel (2003), I am using Data Validation to create a drop down list. I
followed the instructions on "Create a drop-down list" in the help file.

I want to use a Name in the workbook as the Source for the list. First, I
defined the Name in my workbook to refer to a list/range in an external
workbook (as instructed on the help file "How?" link under "If you type the
list in a different workbook, define a name with an external reference to the
list.")

I then followed the remaining instructions for using a list for Data
Validation.

When I entered the Name as my Source for Data Validation, it returns the
following error message: "You cannot use a reference to another worksheet or
workbook for data validation criteria." Again, the Name that I am using is
defined within the worksheet that I want to use, but it refers to data in an
external workbook.