Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to SUM only numbers in a range with Text?

Sorry, I should have said =--RIGHT(F9), not =RIGHT(F9), as the latter
produces text, rather than a number. I apologise for causing you confusion.
--
David Biddulph

"Aundria123" wrote in message
David,

I did what you suggested. I started with F42 to AD42, which corresponds
with F9 to AD9. I have only numbers in my cell on the second page. I
then
put the below formula in AE9 (UNUSED UNITS column) but now the value is
always the same as in C9 (TOTAL UNITS). It's like the formula is no long
doing the SUM / 2 part.

=(C9-(SUM(F42:AD42))/2)

What gives?

Thanks!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

One option is to produce a set of helper columns, so from "T 2" in F9 you
could extract the 2 by =RIGHT(F9), and copy across appropriately. Use the
new columns in your SUM (and hide the new columns if you want to).
--
David Biddulph

"Aundria123" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm a new user to excel and forumlas. I have a column that has a total
number of units in C9. In column C8 are names of people. I have to
either
put next to the names T 2, T 4, E 2 or E4 (F9 to AD9). I am using the
following formula to subtract from the total number of units for each
day
in
the month.

Formula in Cell AE9: =(C9-(SUM(F9:AD9))/2)

This works perfectly for me when I only insert number 2 or 4. In
column
AE,it gives me the number of UNUSED UNITs.

Well now my boss wants me to enter the letter T or E with the NUMBERS,
and
don't know how to adjust this forumla to IGNORE the letter so that the
formula continues to work. Right now when I add a letter to the cell,
the
formula ignores the number.

I hope this makes sense as I'm desperate for a solution. I have digged
through a bunch of help sites, but I'm not technical enough to
understand.

Thank you for your help!