Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Adam is offline

Default "Locked for Editing" problem in Excel 2007

We have a small business network with some computers having Office 2003 and
some with Office 2007. Most of our files are saved on the network as Office
2003 files. When we started using Office 2007, we started to experience this
problem. If I try to open a file that nobody has open, it will tell me that
the file is "locked for editing" by the last person who used it. My options
are to open it Read Only, Notify, and Cancel. If I click Cancel and then try
to open the document again, it will allow me to without telling me it is
locked. The strangest thing is that if I was the last person to open the
document, it will tell me that it is locked for editing by me when I am the
one trying to open it. It is very annoying because any file that I want to
open, I have to do it twice.

I believe that this problem is only happening in Excel, but since we don't
use Word as much, I cannot be certain that it wouldn't happen there too.

Thanks for any advice.