Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Text to columns

Thanks, J!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JMB" wrote in message
Select your finished product, copy then click Edit/Paste Special/Values to
convert the formulae to constants. Then delete the other columns you
don't
need (verify the paste special works before deleting the source).

I also wanted to jump in and congratulate Biff and Roger on reaching their
goals - very well deserved recognition!

"B.W." wrote:

Thank-you, I have both parts together. I would like to delete the the
columns in which they are separate, without affecting the finished
product.
Is this possible.
BW
"mfdou" wrote:

I forgot to mention - you have to then copy the formula by clicking in
the
cell with the formula in it, then move the mouse over the lower right
corner
until the cursor turns into a solid black cross, then click and drag
the
formula all the way down to the bottom of your list.

"mfdou" wrote:

If using the hyphen as the deliminator separates the two parts of
your phone
numbers, you can put them back together fairly easily. make sure
there is an
empty column to the right of the two columns with the phone number
and enter
=(cell&"-"&cell) in the first cell of the empty column - for
instance,
=(A1&"-"&B1) This will give you back your phone numbers with the
hyphen.
"T. Valko" wrote:

Ok, it might be that those spaces are not standard char 32 spaces.
They
might be char 160 non breaking spaces. In the EditReplace
operation:

Find what: hold down the ALT key and using the *numeric keypad*
type 0160
let up on the ALT key then type the dash then hold down the ALT key
and
using the *numeric keypad* type 0160

Replace with: , (comma)
Replace All
Close

Then do the text to columns

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"B.W." wrote in message

I think I did everything you requested but i get a message "
cannot find
the
data your searching for"

"T. Valko" wrote:

It looks like you have name space - space number.

Try this:

Select the range of cells in question
Goto the menu EditReplace
Find what: <space-<space
That is, type in a space then the dash then another space
Replace with: , (type in a comma)
Replace All
Close

With those cells still selected
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
DelimitedNext
CommaFinish

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"B.W." wrote in message
I am trying to split 700 names with phone numbers. They are
in
column
A.
There are hyphens between the names and phone numbers. Do I
have to
replace
it with a coma and if so can i do the first one and copy it to
do the
rest
or
do i have to do each one individually. I not really caught on
to this
posting
yet, so please accept my thanks in advance. Any help is very
much
appreciated.
ie John Doe - 250-555-5555