Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Creating notches in box whisker plots in Microsoft Excel

If we are introducing different visuals for the error of the median, why not
retain the "familiar idiom" of the box chart, and merely add a visual to
represent the error. This could be a line across the bar (like your red
markers in either version of your chart) or some other type of marker. It
avoids reinvention of the entire wheel.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jon Peltier said:
Your chart allows plenty of different quantities to be shown, but I
suspect
it may become cluttered,

Possibly, but the example I showed was bound to look a little cluttered
compared to a simple pair of notched boxes, due to the sheer number of
data points on that graph, and my not taking the trouble to clean up the
legend. This version looks less cluttered, I hope.

http://i146.photobucket.com/
albums/r264/del_c/infographics/not_boxplot2.gif

and at least for now, it's unfamiliar, and forces a
lot of back and forth between the chart and the legend. Don't knock a
"familiar idiom".

Very true.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to