Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mike Barlow Mike Barlow is offline

Default Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 20

Hello

I believe that ANY Office 2007 program that runs slower than Office 2003
on the *same* problem or application is a defacto software downgrade. Some
of these problems may be due to new features that have not been fully
optimized yet, but I regard any new feature that slows down software
execution to be a mistake -- a mistake that should be fixed. Software
slowdown due to larger problem size is natural, but delays due to cosmetic
new-features should not be allowed.

I believe that Office 2007 will not gain wide public acceptance if it is
perceived to be excessively slow as indicated by some of the previous posts
here.

Perhaps more effort should be devoted to optimizing Excel for
math-intensive, high-speed processing of large data arrays.

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

David

RTM charting is a 'little' better, but very much still to be improved (I am
sure in v.next). Quoting the 1000000 rows (You didn't mention 16k columns)
is something I believe Excel users, for it is they who demanded them, will
rue the day they did. It's a limitation of current machine power (Generally
available) and the tasks Excel is put to that make me very sceptical.

Anything approaching the old limit of 65k, should IMHO, be in a database.

Charting *will* get improved but is disappointing in this version.

1,000,000 rows with VLOOKUPs, SUMIFs, etc, I say...

Be careful what you ask for.... (Not you specifically, just a sentiment)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"David Com" wrote in message
Larry,

To get Excel to have 1 million rows rather than 65K, they will have had to
rewrite everything. My impression is that they have made a terrible job of
it. Graphing is very important.

I guess there is a remote possibility that the final release improves
things. Microsoft will get a tremendous amount of bad press if it remains
as
it is now. I certainly wouldn't consider buying Office 2007 if it stays in
it's current state.

What is the point of 1 millions rows if Excel can't cope with 25K rows in
single axis Graph? (which is what I have, and it crawls)

David