Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

Default Automatically update graphs

Jon, those mistakes were merely type-o's that I made re-entering it in this
window. I have entered "=Series('Raw Data'!$B$1,'Raw Data'!ChartDates,'Raw
Data'!ChartEuropeanEquity,1)" in the values box, and I have defined
ChartDates as
"=OFFSET(AllDates,MATCH(StartDate,AllDates,1)-1,0,MATCH(EndDate,AllDates,1)-MATCH(StartDate,AllDates,1)+1,1)"
and I have defined ChartEuropeanEquity as "=OFFSET(ChartDates,0,1)".
AllDates is defined as "='Raw Data'!$A$5:INDEX('Raw
Data'!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999E+307,Data!$A:$A))" and Start and End dates are
defined as "='Raw Data'!$Q$2" and "='Raw Data'!$Q$3" respectively. My titles
of the different columns are in row 1 and my data does not begin until row 8.
I could really use your expertise in figuring out what is wrong. Thanks.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

You have one single quote and one double quote around the first 'Raw Data',
and the third is spelled without a space.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ChrisG" wrote in message
Hey Jon,
I tried copying your generic "values" box formula "=SERIES('My
Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!MyXValues,'My Sheet'!MyYValues,1)"
So I entered "=Series('Raw Data"!$B$1,'Raw
Data'!ChartDates,'RawData'!ChartEuropeanEquity,1)" however I am still told
there is an error in the formula. I know this must be frustrating for
you,
but believe me, it is just as frustrating, if not more so for me! Thanks
again,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

What I said was, I start with a static chart with a series formula that
points to static ranges, then I edit the series formula so it points to
the
dynamic named ranges.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ChrisG" wrote in message
I'll be honest, that confused me! I have been following the article I
mentioned before to a tee, but now I am confused as to what formula I
should
put in for the values box. Where do I put in the "'Raw
Data'ChartEuropeanEquity"? I want to create a dynamic chart, and with
=SERIES('My Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!$A$2:$A$18,'My Sheet'!$B$2:$B$18,1)
wouldn't that create a static sheet? Sorry I am so lost, I really
apprecitate your help
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Make sure the worksheet name and the defined name are correctly
referenced
in the formula. Sometimes what I do is create the chart with data from
the
worksheet on which the defined names reside, then change the addresses
in
the chart formula to the defined names; this is relatively foolproof.
This
means change this:

=SERIES('My Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!$A$2:$A$18,'My Sheet'!$B$2:$B$18,1)

to this:

=SERIES('My Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!MyXValues,'My Sheet'!MyYValues,1)

When you hit Enter, Excel changes the sheet name to the workbook name
if
the
names are defined for the workbook at large:

=SERIES('My
Sheet'!$B$1,TestBook.xls!MyXValues,TestBook.xls!My YValues,1)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ChrisG" wrote in message
Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart, when I
enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides "FirmA")
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference must be
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong, and how
can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ChrisG" wrote in message
I have a worksheet full of raw data and other worksheets which are
just
charts based on the raw data. I continually add more data to the
raw
data
worksheet, and I was wondering if there is a way to change the
source
data
of
the chart so that it will automatically update if the raw data
changes.
clarify this, I will give an example. If on Monday I have 5 rows
of
data
and
every day that week I add more rows, so that by friday I have 10
rows
of
data
(with the most recent data comprising the top row), can I have
the
chart
automatically include all of the data? Thanks for your help