Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default Lines in chart when no data is present

By the way I also have a way to do it but its not pretty. There is also a
code solution which might be simplier but you would have to run it anytime
the data changes.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Because you don't have empty cells, you have formulas that return "", which
is a short piece of text. Unfortunately there is no function that simulates
a blank cell.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"RW" wrote in message
According to the following link,

it states:
"By default, Excel does not plot a data point for an empty cell, which
causes a break in a data series. "

and even shows an example. Why does it not work for my data?

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

Hi RW,

I don't believe there is a straight forward way to do this.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"RW" wrote:

I have found the trick to prevent 0's from showing in a chart when the
data
is blank:

If(H2="",NA(),H2/F2)

However, the chart line extrapolates from the previous data point to
the
next datapoint instead of showing a gap. I've looked at
Tools-Options-Chart
and the Active Chart - Plot Empty Cells as "Not Plotted (leave gaps)"
is
selected.

The data is being charted on a secondary Y axis if this makes a
difference.
Please help. I need to have gaps.