Tushar Mehta

What do you expect XL to do? You want sufficient horizontal space for
365 entries and XL is giving it to you. The result is that each day
occupies only 1/365th of the horizontal space of the plot area.

You *might* get some additional thickness by double-clicking the
plotted series, selecting the Options tab, and setting the Gap Width to
zero.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , says...
Thanks for the quick reply Jon.

WRT changing the base units to months, if I do this then I only get one
value for that month. The major and minor units have to be months as well.

WRT xaxis = category, if I choose this then the date order is gone.

Here is the matrix I'm charting on:
date series1
5-Apr-04 5
25-Jan-04 2
15-Mar-04 4
10-Mar-04 3
10-Jan-04 1

Thanks for your help....
BTW I'm using Excel 2000

Jon Peltier wrote:
Your axis is set so the base unit is days. Each bar must then fit within
a band 1/365th the width of the chart. If you change the base unit to
months, you will have two ro sometimes three points occurring at the
same month.

You shoucl consider changing from time scale to category for the axis.
Choose Chart Options from the Chart menu, click on the Axes tab, and
select Category under Primary X Axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

MrC wrote:

I have a bar chart with dates on the xaxis being resorted (primary
axis = automatic). There are 26 entries over a one year period. The
trouble is the bars come out as vertical lines, I can't set the xaxis
format so that they have any thickness. If I set the chart to not sort
the xaxis then the bars are okay.