Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Vaughan Vaughan is offline

Default VLOOKUP puzzle ??

You can't lookup a value in a column and then return data in a column to the
left of it using VLOOKUP, hence the match and index solution. Your answer
would work if the lookup value was in column C instead of column G

"jiwolf" wrote:

if your data is in c6:g80, surely you want =vlookup("FQR",C6:G80,2,false) ? you can add the error trap as suggested by Dave P.

"Anthony" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
getting a little frustrated with what I though would be a simple VLOOKUP
formula, so turn to you for help.

Cells C6:G80 are populated with data
I want the whole of column G to be searched for the exact code FQR and when
found return the data in the corresponding columns E and D

=VLOOKUP("FQR",D6:G80,2,TRUE)&" "&VLOOKUP("FQR",D6:G80,1,TRUE)

the above gives the wrong answer, and if I use the FALSE array, ie to find
exact match, I get the #N/A error,
Can anybody provide the correct formula

Thanks