Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default VLOOKUP puzzle ??

I misread your message.

Since you want to match in column G and bring back things to the left of that
key column, you have to use a different formula:

=index(e6:e80,match("fqr",g6:g80,0)) & " " & index(d6:d80,match("fqr",g6:g80,0))

Debra Dalgleish has some notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

Anthony wrote:

Hi all,
getting a little frustrated with what I though would be a simple VLOOKUP
formula, so turn to you for help.

Cells C6:G80 are populated with data
I want the whole of column G to be searched for the exact code FQR and when
found return the data in the corresponding columns E and D

=VLOOKUP("FQR",D6:G80,2,TRUE)&" "&VLOOKUP("FQR",D6:G80,1,TRUE)

the above gives the wrong answer, and if I use the FALSE array, ie to find
exact match, I get the #N/A error,
Can anybody provide the correct formula

Thanks

--