Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
curious1 curious1 is offline

Default How do I sort dates that are not formatted correctly?

Dave, the dates are Aug 8, Aug 11, Aug 1.

I've discovered that the source I brought the data in from starts the dates
with a space for some reason. I've tried the formatting suggestions and set
my regional short date, if I manually type in the dates they sort OK;
however, not with my imported dates.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate the first 'space' before the dates and
then to have the column auto-format to my desired mm/dd/yyyy format?
Thanks for all your assistance.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

What dates are these?

Are they dates in August (Aug 8, Aug 11, Aug 1) or is it Aug 8, Nov 8, and Jan
1?

Before you try this, make sure that the date order (mdy or dmy or whatever)
matches the windows regional settings for short dates (under the control panel).

Then select your range to fix and
edit|Replace
what: / (slash)
with: /
replace all

If you change that windows regional date setting, then change it back when
you're done and format the cells the way you want.

curious1 wrote:

8/8/2006
8/11/2006
8/1/2006

I cannot get the above dates to sort correctly in descending order when
imported from another source.

--

Dave Peterson